Twenty-seven years ago, we said “I do.” We celebrated our anniversaire de mariage (ann-e-ver-sare duh mare-e-azj) at Beaumonde in Philadelphia. Since we were able to amicably split the dessert crêpe (chocolate, with toasted coconut and coffee ice cream), we must be doing just fine. I don’t share chocolate with just anyone.
Here’s some additional anniversary vocabulary:
- noces d’argent (noss darzjehn) – silver wedding anniversary (25th)
- noces d’or (noss door) – golden wedding anniversary (50th)
- noces de diamant (noss duh dee-ah-mahn) – diamond wedding anniversary (60th)
Just about everything that’s happened since would have surprised us a great deal if we’d been told what was ahead that sunny September day in 1985. I never would have guessed we’d leave home and family in Canada to live in southern New Jersey. I never would have guessed that I would become a lawyer, and then leave that career to teach French. I never would have guessed that I would get to live and work in Paris every summer. I certainly never have guessed that we’d become doting parents to two cats. Our daughter is a wonderful, beautiful, talented young woman beyond our most starry-eyed dreams. We even look fairly well preserved! We’ve truly been blessed, and I’m grateful.
- Les Coulisses du Mariage du Prince de Monaco: A Documentary (VIDEO) (royalcorrespondent.com)
- Most Unique Restaurants in Downtown Philadelphia (apartmentguide.com)