The other day, I wrote about Hennessy, one of the jewels in the LVMH crown. Today, I’m going to tell you about another of their jewels, Berluti. This French company with an Italian name has been creating bespoke men’s footwear since 1895. The equivalent of “bespoke” in French is fait sur mesure (feh soor mezoor), or “made to measure.” It was founded by Italian Alessandro Berluti and is currently run by Olga Berluti. Despite the fact that a woman is now holding the laces, Berluti still makes shoes, and other fine leather goods, exclusively for men. Their main location is on rue Marbeuf in Paris, just off Avenue George V, in the très chic 8th Arrondissement.
They have 3,000 wooden forms in their storage room shaped to the exact foot of the wearer. In order to get a completely perfect fit, they are willing to sacrifice a made-to-measure pair. Zones are cut away to make adjustments down to the exact millimeter before the final pair is crafted. These are the shoes chosen by those who can afford the very best; Richard Burton, Sylvester Stallone, and Jeremy Irons are just some of Berluti’s clients. Each pair of shoes requires 50 hours of work, but neither time nor money are an object for the habitués of Berluti shoes.
The company was acquired in 2012 by LVMH, the same year Berluti launched a prêt-à-porter collection. Even ready-made, these shoes are not exactly inexpensive. They topped a Forbes magazine list of the most expensive men’s shoes at $1,830 a pair! Berluti also acquired Arny’s, a prestigious Paris tailor, in order to give their clients the best from head-to-toe. Maybe women’s shoes will come in 2014? I do love beautiful shoes!
- It Takes 200 Hours To Make a Dior Couture Dress (thevivant.com)
- Jeremy Irons and Pierre Casiraghi get suited and booted for Berluti (fashion.telegraph.co.uk)
- LVMH Opens Its Doors (iamomnichannel.com)
- Aston Martin Will Be Owned By A Fashion Company? (blogs.automotive.com)
- Quand le vin est tiré, il faut le boire (onequalitythefinest.com)
- A Stroll Through The Garden With Berluti (style.com)
- LVMH (Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton)…..the brands (mogulmediatv.wordpress.com)
- Delphine Arnault at the Head of Louis Vuitton (fashionforyoublog.com)